Thursday, November 15, 2007

Albums That Will Change Your Life (and Where to Buy Them): Brand New- Deja Entendu


I must preface this post by mentioning that Brand New is my favorite band ever. Brand New's second LP, Deja Entendu may be my favorite album ever. I grew up not far away from the members of Brand New on Long Island. Jesse Lacey dated a girl from my high school. Brand New was the band for my friends and I in high school, and remain that way today.

My bias aside, Deja Entendu is a fantastic record. The album was critically acclaimed and widely regarded as one of the top records of 2003. From the moment the dreamlike opener "Tautou" begins with the lyrics "I'm sinking like a stone in the sea/I'm burning like a bridge for your body" to the acoustic closer "Play Crack The Sky " which is actually about a sinking ship off the coast of Long Island, Deja Entendu marks a more mature, mood, angst driven sound from Brand New.

And it couldn't be better. There are amazing song titles ("Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't" and "Good to Know That if I Ever Need Attention All I Have to Do Is Die"). Lacey manages to fit into just under 49 minutes, songs about the troubles of touring, dealing with the emotions of sex, love and fear of loss (with the personal "Guernica" dealing with his grandfather's lung cancer). Deja Entendu is french for "already heard", but with this record, Brand New set themselves apart from their counterparts and created a near perfect album.

Finding Deja new on vinyl is no easy task. Triple Crown Records released a limited amount of the album on vinyl less than a month ago, but within mere minutes they sold out. When times become desperate, there is of course only one place to turn to: eBay. Many of the people who bought the new pressing of the album have put the albums up for bidding. Just make sure you are buying from a reliable person and that the album is in fact new, and you are good to go. It may cost you anywhere from $17 to upwards of $40 bucks before shipping and handling, but I will assure you it is money well spent.

While you are waiting for your new vinyl copy of Deja Entendu, enjoy an amusing video rendition of "The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows," filled with stick figure emo kids, misinterpreted lyrics and, of course, Lou Bega:

No comments: